By Mark Barnicutt on May 8, 2010
This past Thursday (May 6th, 2010), the Odette School of Business, at the University of Windsor, hosted an evening titled, “Chasing Bernie Madoff“.
Frank Casey (one of the three Foxhounds, led by Harry Markopolos), together with Gaytri Kachroo (founder and partner of Kachroo Legal Services, and lawyer for Harry Markopolos) gave a two hour presentation to faculty, staff, students and alumni of both the Business and Law Schools about their experiences in working with Harry Markopolos (who began trying to expose Bernie Madoff as early as 2000). HighView (Mark Barnicutt) moderated the event. The Windsor Star featured an article on this event in today’s edition.
In the investment industry, so much time is spent teaching students about the technical aspects of money management. Although important, this was a great opportunity to share real life experiences with students on how greed can corrupt and what happens when:
(1) The financial system is not supervised by a strong, independent and competent regulator, and
(2) Investment firms do not conduct the proper level of research/due diligence before presenting investment opportunities to their clients for investment!
This is a story that should be mandatory reading by every business and law student, who intends to practice in the investment industry, prior to graduation!
Congratulations to the Odette School of Business for investing the time and money into hosting this event.
Proud to be an alumnus!
- The 5 Elements That Determine Whether a Financial Advisor Is a True Fiduciary (According to Canadian Courts) - September 18, 2018
- HighView Family Story: Retirement Plans Uncover Unclear Fee Disclosure by Investment Advisor - August 3, 2018
- The Client Dangers of Proprietary Investment Product Overload - March 28, 2018
- 7 Common Hurdles in Creating Sustainable Wealth - February 28, 2018
- Understanding Your Family Office Options - January 23, 2018
- Happy Holidays to Our Valued Clients and Their Families - December 17, 2017
- Why Do I Need an Investment “Fiduciary”? - October 17, 2017
- Dan Hallett of HighView to Be a Panelist in OSC Roundtable on Discontinuing Embedded Commissions - August 24, 2017
- What the 2017 Federal Budget Means for High Net Worth Canadians - March 28, 2017
- What Is Wealth Stewardship? - March 15, 2017