By Adam Laird on September 27, 2016
In Canada, mutual funds are the largest held embedded fee investment product available. They are categorized by a class system, of which most investors are familiar with the A-Class fund predominately used by financial advisors or mutual fund representatives.
Hidden Fees in A-Class Mutual Funds
The A-Class fund can generate the highest possible commissions. In Canada, the average management expense ratio for an A-Class mutual fund – which is the cost of owning the fund – is 2.53%:
- 1.00% is given to the advisor to service the client on an annual basis and to ensure they stay invested (known as the trailer fee).
- 1.53% is given to the mutual fund company executing the investment mandate and therefore the performance of the fund.
- Commissioned advisors could also receive a 5% commission bonus behind the scenes for selling Deferred Service Charge Funds or up to 3% for selling Low Load Funds, which lock up the investor for an extended period of time.
However, as of December 31st, 2015, the A-Class mutual fund is under serious examination.
Regulators are forcing the disclosure of the 1.00% trailer given to advisors and exposing commission bonuses. Unfortunately, the 1.53% component of the MER (Management Expense Ratio) will not be found in the report.
Therefore, enter F-Class Funds.
Are F-Class Mutual Funds the Answer?
This class of mutual funds pay no sales commissions, trailer fees, or other compensation to the advisor.
So are F-Class funds a trick? Or are they actually a treat?
We encourage you to watch the video below, where we break down how F-Class funds can still have hidden fees investors don’t know about:
At HighView, we take great pride in facilitating dialogue in the management of wealth. We ask that you use caution if you’re being promoted fee-based accounts or F-Class funds from mutual fund representatives or financial advisors.
Regrettably, and as illustrated, something that could be a treat for a cost conscious investor can be turned in to a trick.
HighView Financial Group is an investment counselling firm that takes a fiduciary approach to affluent family and foundation wealth. We are transparent and accountable in all that we do. Schedule a complimentary discovery session to see if we’re the right investment stewardship counsellors for you.
You may also be interested in:
- Self-Inflicted Problems: Mutual Fund Industry Has Fought Investor-Friendly Reforms
- Making Sense of Your New CRM2 Performance Report
- Integrated Wealth Management Advice for Affluent Canadian Families: Convenience vs. Competency
- Understanding Pool Funds [Video] - January 27, 2017
- F-Class Funds: Trick or Treat [Video] - September 27, 2016
- Join Us for Warren MacKenzie’s Session at The MoneyShow Toronto! - August 30, 2016
- 5 Important Steps for Downsizing Your Family Home [Video] - April 8, 2016
- What the 2016 Federal Budget Means for High Net Worth Canadians [Video] - March 25, 2016
- Debunking the Investment Industry: Is Your Investment Portfolio Structured for Relative or Absolute Benchmarking? [Video] - February 4, 2016
- Debunking Myths of the Investment Industry in Canada Video Series - February 2, 2016
- Why Hire a Professional Chief Investment Officer when You Can Just “Do It Yourself”? - January 28, 2016
- HighView’s 8 Founding Principles for Wealth Management [Video] - January 8, 2016
- Management Expense Ratio: True Disclosure from CRM Phase 2 - September 11, 2015