By Mark Barnicutt on March 1, 2010
At HighView Financial Group, we recognize that there are many organizations that have a fiduciary obligation for the oversight of large pools of capital entrusted to them for the benefit of others — advisory firms, family offices, foundations, endowments, private pension plans and asset managers to name but a few. We refer to the individuals who are responsible for the fiduciary oversight of such wealth as “Stewards”.
With the globalization of capital markets over the last few decades, there has been a marked increase in the range and complexity of investment opportunities available to investors. In fact, the array of investment options available today is virtually limitless: stocks, bonds, mutual funds, pool funds, hedge products, structured products, private equity, income trusts and commodities.
To simplify the delivery of this vast array of investment solutions to investors, many Stewards have increasingly shifted their clients’ portfolios towards managed asset programs that contain a prudently structured set of discretionarily managed investments, typically on a multiple investment manager basis.
In spite of this secular shift to managed asset/multiple manager offerings, global investment opportunities have also created a whole new set of risks that investors have been forced to address. For this reason, Stewards are focused on fulfilling their fiduciary obligations which are often tied to the creation of sustainable wealth.
As a result, we are often asked how wealth management organizations, and the Stewards who are entrusted with the oversight of investor wealth, can achieve sustainability of wealth. We’ve written an article is to address this common question.
- The 5 Elements That Determine Whether a Financial Advisor Is a True Fiduciary (According to Canadian Courts) - September 18, 2018
- HighView Family Story: Retirement Plans Uncover Unclear Fee Disclosure by Investment Advisor - August 3, 2018
- The Client Dangers of Proprietary Investment Product Overload - March 28, 2018
- 7 Common Hurdles in Creating Sustainable Wealth - February 28, 2018
- Understanding Your Family Office Options - January 23, 2018
- Happy Holidays to Our Valued Clients and Their Families - December 17, 2017
- Why Do I Need an Investment “Fiduciary”? - October 17, 2017
- Dan Hallett of HighView to Be a Panelist in OSC Roundtable on Discontinuing Embedded Commissions - August 24, 2017
- What the 2017 Federal Budget Means for High Net Worth Canadians - March 28, 2017
- What Is Wealth Stewardship? - March 15, 2017